Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Side Note - Recent Service Learning Project - My thoughts



My service learning journey began with a rather easy and short hour and a few minutes of helping five elderly ladies wheel their way to the Bistro where these ladies had drinks and saw some of their other friends and former neighbors from the nearby apartments.  I introduced myself and then I started asking each one of them to tell about what they had done in their life for a living.  There were teachers, a banker, and a house wife and part-time advertising agent.  I helped wheel them all to their next activity for that day, which was lunch. There I helped with tying on bibs mostly and my time was up for that day.  I did not learn much as of yet, other than getting to know some neat ladies. I also wondered if they would remember me the next time I was there.
            The next time I volunteered for the care home was a few days later and as I arrived I saw that the workers were disorganized and the place was a little bit chaotic.  The music therapy lady had not shown up yet. I sat down at the piano and began playing hymns.  The elderly joined in by singing along with the songs and I was very amazed at how alert some of them became.  They may have appeared to be sleeping in their wheelchairs prior to the music, but they slowly were aroused and awakened and even joyous.  I decided right then and there that music really was a very wonderful thing.
            The music therapy lady arrived and we did aerobics and then I helped wheel the regular ladies to the Bistro for drinks and visiting with friends.  As I had expected, these ladies did not remember me. So strange to think about the deterioration of the mind and how in some ways these ladies were fine and by delving into their minds just even a little you could understand that their mental capacities were failing them. 
            Again, I helped wheel them to lunch and apply bibs.  Bibs are a must for this age group.  Just as bibs are needed for infants and toddlers, so it is for the elderly in nursing homes.  I became very sad from time-to-time as I tried to help some order food and others with spills or with drink refills.  One older gentleman had spilled his hot cocoa on his lap and no one had noticed.  I helped him with it a little bit until someone was available to take him to get cleaned up. 
            Some of the other things that helped with included playing games, such as, 20 questions.  It was very neat to see how some were a walking history book, or one might be a walking encyclopedia. Then others were lost in their own thoughts.  I read the newspaper to some that had poor eyesight and some that needed to be distracted so that they would not leave their seats or want to leave and go back to their rooms.  It was very hard not to get a little teary-eyed at times.  One lady just needed to use the restroom, but there was not enough actual employees to help, so I wheeled her to back to her room and sat with her until the nurse was able to get to her.  Another lady was busy putting her arms under her shirt, so asked her if she was cold.  I did not get much of a response out of the resident, so I went to the employee to ask about this woman. The employee just casually said, “Oh, she does that all the time.”  I thought that she might be cold, so I asked for a blanket. My previous experience with this one resident in particular was all garbally-gook or broken speech. She had previously been completely dumb-founded in the lunch room and no clear speech, so I assumed she had had a stroke and could not communicate properly anymore. So, as I walked over with the blanket to put in on her and see if she would accept my gesture she clearly said, “Thank you.” Another moment of holding back tears.
            What I learned from this experience is that I dread getting old for sure and that nursing facilities, just like preschools and elementary schools will always need volunteers. Not just volunteers, I say these people need advocates.  Advocates to help with the seemingly small things, but are a tremendous help for all involved.  In one sense these people are neglected but in another sense the facilities are doing a great deal with and for them and their families.  The employees of these facilities also sometimes grow immune to the needs of these people and fail to see the needs of the patients, but not in the way one might think.  These employees are doing their jobs to full capacity, but just like young children, the elderly need care in the same way.  It might be getting a tissue for wiping a nose or recognizing that someone is cold and just wants a blanket.
            There is a great need for an advocacy program for these wonderful people that have lived interesting and hard lives. I wish that each facility would make it a requirement that each person had a family member or friend come in to be their advocate at least a minimum of hours a week for the sake of all the people involved.  There would be less guilt on the part of the family and the employees.
I believe that all involved will be much more at ease in helping these poor beautiful souls live out their last days.

No comments:

Post a Comment