Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Friday, July 11, 2014

Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament

So had a good message today.  The Lord tells Moses to "set the bread of the Presence on the table before me always". For the Israelites, bread was a sign of what the Lord had done for them both when he freed them from the Egyptians and when he gave them "bread from heaven" for forty years in the desert.  In the giving of the pattern, the Lord also tells Moses "There [in the ark of the covenant] I will meet with you ....and I will speak with you" Ex. 25:22.  
So, then King David "had it in his heart to build a house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the Lord" (1 Chr 28:2), but it is actually his son that the Lord chose "to build a house for the name of the Lord," the first Temple, which was built according to the same pattern as was given to Moses, except that the temple was stationary. After Solomon had built the Temple, moved the Ark of the Covenant and the Bread of the Presence inside, and prayed a prayer of dedication, "fire came down from heaven....and the glory of the Lord filled the temple" (2 Chr 7:1).  "When all the children of Israel saw the fire come down and the glory of the Lord upon the temple, they bowed down with their faces to the earth on the pavement, and worshiped and gave thanks to the Lord, saying, "for his is good, for his steadfast love endures forever" (2 Chr 7:3).
    Then the Lord appeared to Solomon and said: "I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice....if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.  Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. For now I have chosen and consecrated this house that my name may be there for ever: (2 Chr 7:12-16)
    Let our adoration never cease!!
    Pope Paul VI taught that to visit the Blessed Sacrament is "a proof of gratitude and a pledge of love, and a display of the adoration that is owed to Christ the Lord who is present there" (Mysterium Fidei).

No comments:

Post a Comment